Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Black Angels

I recently spoke to my friend and ever-dependable indie rock guru, Gene.  Once beyond the pleasantries about the wife and kids and a brief tip of the hat to NFL football, our conversation predictably veered toward indie rock.  The last time we spoke, he mentioned the Crystal Stilts, whom, for whatever reason, I never took the time to explore.  I will.  A stone of dejection landed in my gut when he answered my querry about what's new or good in the scene by saying that he's always busy and hadn't been following as closely as in years past.  I concurred that I know how busy he is and mentioned that I'd caught wind of a possible Luna reunion.  He said he'd heard something about it, too.  I may have mentioned The Radio Dept. as well.  (Luna has a song called "This Time Around," too.  Ahhh, the circle turns.)  The switch flicked by the Luna reference apparently closed the the right circuit, prompting him to suggest The Black Angels. 

It turns out they've been around since '06, but
part of what I like about hitting the indie scene late is that I know I can just absorb different artists in drips and drabs, stretching out the enjoyment and study of each one from a more casual standpoint. 

Wow!  My man never lets me down.  The singer sounds a little, no, make that a lot like PJ Harvey.  Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQTkOP60bGg


Bonus Luna (very nice solo work in this one):




.

No comments:

Post a Comment